Areku
Could you please tell me which way is better? Situation: This morning the water service was shut off because of a accident. Question: Which tense should I use when talking about this situation if the service still doesn't work? PrP: The water service has been shut off. PaS: The water service was shut off. PrS: I have the water service shut off. (is it correct?) or else?
May 23, 2013 10:53 PM
8
0
PrP: The water service has been shut off. PaS: The water service was shut off. PrS: I have the water service shut off. (is it correct?) Present perfect works with the above sentence, "The water service has been shut off", but DOES NOT work with your first sentence since you specify a specific timeframe. It would be incorrect to say: "This morning the water service has been shut off". (incorrect) If you want to indicate that it happened this morning, you must use simple past: "This morning the water service was shut off". (correct) If you don't specify a time frame, then either of them are right, i.e. "The water service has been shut off" and "The water service was shut off" are both correct. Your third sentence isn't formed correctly. It would have to be: "I had the water service shut off", but this only works if you arranged for the water service to be shut off. In the other two sentences it doesn't say who shut it off. That part is left ambiguous. I would therefore, avoid this construction here unless you were the one who arranged for it to be shut off.
Both of these are correct: "The water service has been shut off." "The water service was shut off." I don't understand this sentence: "I have the water service shut off."
Also - you would usually say ' my water' rather than 'the water service', to make it clear that you are talking about the water supply to where you are, rather than somewhere else. using 'service' is correct, but not common (here at least). Supply would be better.
Dan just said it all. But let me add, you should use "an accident" instead of "a accident". The word "accident" starts with a vowel and every word starting with a vowel goes with "an" - you have other examples, such as "an octopus", "an enemy", "an orange" or "an animal". On the other hand, every word starting with a consonant goes with "a" - for example "a car", "a house", "a friend" or "a pencil". Just adding this in case you weren't aware of it! Good luck (:
Areku
English, Japanese, Russian