Community Web Version Now Available
Is there an English word/phrase that describes such people? They are planted into a crowd or audience by the mastermind of a show or campaign, and are to do something (e.g. by yelling) to influence or rile up the crowd or audience. (By the way, in my language, we call them "snags; 暗樁", as in tree parts under water.)
May 26, 2013 6:56 AM
Answers · 3
"Shill" typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression he is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom he is secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed). Shills are often employed by professional marketing campaigns. "Plant" and "stooge" more commonly refer to any person who is secretly in league with another person or organization while pretending to be neutral or actually a part of the organization he is planted in, such as a magician's audience, a political party, or an intelligence organization (see double agent).
May 26, 2013
Language Skills
Chinese (Mandarin), English
Learning Language