TimeTravelerLady
hi there :) how to change this sentence to more formal,official and at the same time POLITELY? "If you don't do this before winter sets in, I'll be obliged to spend my rent money on making the house fit for human habitation instead of giving the money directly to you"
May 27, 2013 3:06 PM
2
0
I assume some repairs need to be done? "If the repairs are not completed before the first of November, I shall be forced to direct my funds towards bringing the house up to a proper standard for habitation in lieu of paying the rent." Here are a few tips for formal writing: - keep it indirect: talk about "it" instead of "me/you". This means using passive voice quite a bit. - give specific information, especially dates. - no contractions. - keep it impersonal (you were right to use "be obliged", as if it were not your own decision).
TimeTravelerLady
English, French, German, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Serbian, Spanish
English, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Serbian, Spanish