Mohammadreza
Which one is correct? 1. I wouldn't have gone to the museum if I had known it was shut. 2. I wouldn't go to the museum if I knew it was shut.
May 27, 2013 9:16 PM
2
0
Actually, neither of them are correct :) The word you are looking for here is "closed" not "shut". The meanings are very similar, but we use closed and not shut for these sentences. I think the correct sentence is 1, but both of the sentences are correct. It just depends on the situation: 1. I wouldn't have gone to the museum if I had known it was closed This means that you arrived at the museum, and once you got there, you saw that it was closed. 2. I wouldn't go to the museum if I knew it was closed. This is more of a general statement. It also sounds like you might be defending yourself against an accusation. Most likely this is not the sentence you need.
Shut is fine. Closed is better. Both are correct but express different tense - the first is past perfect tense I think, and implies that you did go and that it was closed. The second is future conditional.
Mohammadreza
English, Persian (Farsi), Spanish, Turkish
English, Spanish, Turkish