chen
My uncle was ____ by a gang of terrorist last week. A. assassinated B. murdered C. slaughtered Note: I am trying to distinguish these three verbs. My guess is that only important political figures can be assassinated. And only animals can be slaughtered. Both “assassinate” and “murder” are necessarily premeditated. Am I on the right track? What are your thoughts on these three verbs? Thanks
May 28, 2013 4:02 AM
9
0
Just a quick note. It should be "a gang of terrorists" - plural. You are on the right track. "assassinated" is usually used with important people, especially political figures. "slaughtered" is usually used with animals, but if the crime against a human is extremely vicious and messy/bloody, you might use the verb "slaughter". So, of those three, "murdered" is definitely the best, given no more context. All three are likely to be considered "premeditated".
Thanks Mario!
C. slaughtered
Any of them would be understood, the more common are A and B, I agree with you about C.
chen