lorena
modal verbs, are these sentences correct? Thanks 11. You don't need to phone the station about the time of the trains. I've got a timetable. 12. I don't have to go now. I can stay a bit longer if you want me to. 13. There's someone at the door. It may be Sarah. 14. Where's Simon? He have to be in the living room. 15. Peter is late. He may miss the train. 16. Perhaps he doesn't know the adress. He may not know it. 17. I can't find my wallet anywhere. It may be at home. 18. It's not very warm and you're not wearing a coat. 19. Peter was here a moment ago, so he can't be far away. 20. Annie must be asleep. There's a light on in her bedroom. 21. You've only spent five minutes on that job. You can't do it properly. Thanks
May 28, 2013 1:17 PM
7
0
Corrections in CAPS; comments after < 11. You don't need to phone the station about the time of the trains. I've got a timetable. 12. I don't have to go now. I can stay a bit longer if you want me to. 13. There's someone at the door. It may be Sarah. 14. Where's Simon? He HAS to be in the living room.
5 Functions to remember for modal verbs (CAN, WOULD, COULD, MUST,MAY SHALL, MIGHT,SHOULD,WILL, OUGHT TOO) 1. Probability (ex. You MUST have waited for a long time) 2.Ability (ex. She CAN do the break dance ./ He can't swim.) 3.Obligation and Advice (this also uses modal verbs such as MUST but depending on the thought of the sentence or phrase in order to be labeled as Obligation or Advice.) => [ex.You MUST practice more./ We should get together sometimes.] 4.Ask or Give.Permission (ex. CAN I take you out? / You MAY not use the car.) 5. Habit (ex. We WOULD often eat together every morning./ She WILL always be my favorite.) I conclude your sentences are correct except #18 because the sentence doesn't express any of the five functions of modal verbs and also #14 yes, it's a modal verb but the sentence structure is wrong, since HE is a singular you have to change "have" to "has" so the sentence should be = Where's Simon? He has to be in the living room. [HOPE THIS HELPS YOUR QUESTION ^_^]
14. ... He has to be or He must be 16. spelling of address (in case it's not simply a 'typo'). 18. As Tessa says, no sign of any modal verb in #18; 20. Annie must be asleep, yet there's a light on in her bedroom Logic appears wrong. 21. You can't HAVE DONE do it properly
As the other commenters say, 18 has no modal verbs. You could add one if you said something like "It's not very warm, and you should be wearing a coat."
I'm sure someone has suggested you make the Notebook entries to assist editing. If you are going to have a series of the same subject you might number them serially so editors don't revisit... For example: modal verbs, are these sentences correct? (2 of 3) Thanks
lorena
English, French, Galician, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
French, German