Abhi
Why thank you . First I really appreciate that your effort to answer my doubt . So the doubt is : In a sentence for example in dialogues below : Person A : I am home Person B : Welcome home Person A : "Why thank you" . Can you please clarify what is the "Why thank you" means ? I have seen it in use with other words like "Why of course " I would like to thank everyone for reading it , thanks in advance for the help .
May 29, 2013 7:53 AM
12
1
The word "why" is usually used in reference to a question or a reason. However, in this case it is used as an interjection that expresses pleasant feelings about something someone has said or done. Saying, "Why, thank you!" is the same as saying, "I am pleased with what you said or did. Thank you for it!" Often the phrase is used when someone has done or said something good that was unexpected.
"Why" is an exclamation of appreciation.
It is not used as a question word but as an exclamation.
Abhi
Arabic (Gulf), English, Hindi, Russian, Spanish
Arabic (Gulf), English, Russian, Spanish