chen
You must encourage him ___ his efforts. A. at B. with C. to D. in Note: I can't say I am familiar with the verb "encourage" but it feels right to say “encourage someone to do something” or “encourage something in someone.” If D is the answer, what does “in” mean in “you must encourage him IN his efforts”?
May 30, 2013 9:00 AM
5
1
NoAgenda, The best answer is D because "encourage somebody in something" is standard usage. In your sentence the preposition "in" indicates limitation, i.e inclusion in some qualification or circumstances. Encourage him in his efforts = Encourage him within the scope or range of his efforts. This does not mean encourage him generally, rather encourage him in a defined range of circumstances--in his efforts. B is also possible, but has a more general even vague meaning. Encourage him with his efforts: a; encourage him generally using his efforts as an example or stimulus? or b; encourage him so far as concerns his efforts? (approximately equal to D).
"You must encourage him in his efforts" IN is the right answer In this sentence, IN is a preposition. Effort is a noun. A preposition sits before a noun to show the noun's relationship to another word in the sentence
Is my question understandable? Am I asking the right questions? Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks
chen