Simone
Using a noun like an adjective. How can I recognize when I can use a noun like an adjective in English? For example....orange juice or oil stain. Would it be incorrect using the form "stain of oil" (like in Italian) ? And If the answer is yes, what's the rule? Thanks!
May 30, 2013 9:16 AM
4
0
I think you answered your own question. If you would use the form of the x or of a y or of z, you CaN use the noun as an adjective. To an English speaker, juice of an orange sounds very strange and stilted.
Hey, i can help. it's still a noun when you add the words together. in italian (and french) the order is reversed. ie. "stain of oil" will become oil stain. "watch of gold" will become gold watch" "juice of orange becomes orange juice". that is the general rule. you can add nouns together to become one word, there is no need to separate, if changing from italian or french, reverse the order, make them one word. hope this helps
Simone
English, Italian