Ghadeer
"Penny missionary affairs", what's the meaning of this term ? Context: Edward, as a boy, had interested himself in Sunday-schools, debating societies, penny missionary affairs, anti-tobacco organizations, anti-profanity associations, and all such things; Source: Edward Mills and George Benton - Mark Twain.
May 30, 2013 1:06 PM
5
0
I suspect that penny missionary affairs are some kind of fundraiser for church missionaries. Missionaries would travel to different places and try to convert the natives to Christianity. When they came back to the US, they would speak to church congregations about their work and the audience was expected to make a donation.
I am from the US, but I have never heard the phrase "penny missionary". It could be an English phrase. If not, then I believe it would mean "very simple and cheap missionary work". That is, some missionaries travel to foreign countries and learn a new language, while others just talk to their neighbors.
Ghadeer
Arabic, English, Spanish