Anotherworld
What does "not afraid in the ordinary sense" mean? If the elephant charged and I missed him, I should have about as much chance as a toad under a steam-roller. But even then I was not thinking particularly of my own skin, only of the watchful yellow faces behind.For at that moment, with the crowd watching me, I was not afraid in the ordinary sense, as I would have been if I had been alone. I was" not afraid in the ordinary sense", as I would have been if I had been alone. So Does this mean I was afraid in the other reason? I wonder this part. Please help me! Thanks!
May 30, 2013 2:04 PM
6
0
"not afraid in the ordinary sense" = "afraid in an unordinary sense/way" ie. The character was not afraid for himself/herself (the ordinary sense), but for the people behind (the watching crowd/watchful yellow faces).
I think it means he pushed away the fear of missing and being trampled by the elephant because he had a crowd watching him. If he had been alone, it would be normal to freak-out, but since he was being watched, he couldn't show his fear.
Anotherworld