Tane (태인)
What should I use? 지금 or 이제 지금 seems to be more commonly used, but both words appear to have the same meaning and seem to be used the same way as well. I'm curious to what the difference is, or if there is even one at all. o: Thank you in advance~ 감사합니다 ^^ -Tane테인
May 31, 2013 12:06 AM
4
0
As my grammar book (Korean Grammar in Use) explains it, "지금" means "now" as referring to the current moment. "이제" means "now" with a sense of separation from the past. You can think of "지금" as meaning "right now" and "이제" as meaning "from now." "지금" would be the "now" in "I'm sorry, but she's busy now." "이제" would be the "now" in "I know better now." At least, that's my understanding of it as a non-native speaker.
Ian W.'s examples are right. But for better explanation, 지금 = Right now 이제 = Now (shows that something has started (now) and it's effects will continue in to the future)
Tane (태인)
English, Korean, Swedish
Korean, Swedish