Jasmine ♪
♪Why is "She don't has ~" wrong? I know you sometimes say such as "He don't understand." in everyday conversation. Also the Supremes sang "Love don't come easy". I've been wondering how come you have third person singular? Do you also happen to have some confusions or troubles? Help.
May 31, 2013 2:40 PM
4
0
I know what you mean. Sometimes it's funny for people to use improper grammar, but only if the language is your native language; if it isn't, then people are usually going to correct you. But it's most often used as slang or even to make fun of certain people. You're right though, "Love don't come easy" and other bad forms are usually used in music and some movies. But it can be cute. Try Google "I can has cheezburger"
It is important to realize that third person + don't is bad English today, but that was not always the case.' In the 19th century, many educated people in England and the United States had no problem in saying third person + don't. For example, President Woodrow Wilson (1913 -1921) reportedly used third person + don't in private conversation. But when he spoke in public, he always remembered to use third person + doesn't. It seems that teachers in the 19th century kept insisting that only third person + doesn't was correct. So little by little that became the correct form. In my opinion, if a politician used third-person + don't, she or he would never be elected president, for people would lose respect for him or her.
While "She don't..." is wrong, it is sometimes used as slang. It's not used often, and it usually makes even native speakers sound stupid unless they can pull it off. Even then, they'd never say "She don't has...". "She don't have..." is less incorrect, and "She don't has..." would never be said by a native speaker.
I'd like ask you these three questions: 1) How would you answer if an English learner asked you the reason why "She don't has ~" is wrong. 2) why do you have third person singular? 3) Do you have some troubles on this? Thanks.
Jasmine ♪
English, Japanese, Thai
English, Thai