Jasmine ♪
♪ the guitar or a guitar? My old English teacher told me to put "the" before any musical instruments. But today my friend told me just put "a" instead of "the". Is this correct?
May 31, 2013 3:23 PM
10
1
Musical instruments work just like any other noun. Which you use depends entirely on the situation, not on the word. If you need to use the indefinite article, write 'a'. If you need to use the definite article, write 'the'. Indefinite article: http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/determiners-and-quantifiers/indefinite-article-and Definite article: http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/determiners-and-quantifiers/definite-article
We do use "the" to express the -ability- to play an instrument. "I can play the guitar and the piano, but I don't have a guitar or a piano." "A" is used introduce the instrument into conversation, and then "the" is used to talk about specific instruments. "I'd like to buy a guitar, please." "Well, the guitar in this case is very good." If the speaker and the listener both know which instrument they are talking about, you use "the". "It looks expensive. What about the guitar over there?" "Do you play the guitar? That guitar is good for beginners."
It depends ... For instance, if you play an instrument you would say: "I play the guitar, I play the piano, I play the bass." However, if you simply wanted to say you owned an instrument, "a" would generally be used instead. For example: "I have a guitar, I have a piano, I have a bass." If you are talking to someone and want to tell them something about this guitar (or any other instrument), depending on the structure of the sentence you could use "the" or "a" and both are used commonly. You could say: "The guitar is black." or something like: "This is a white guitar." This is all I can think of off the top of my head ... but, let me know if you have any other questions. ^^
well, I'll show u 2 examples: - I'm playing the guitar. - I've just bought a guitar your old teacher was right, but only in the case u say someone PLAYS a musical instrument. Just look at example No2 and u'll see :)
No. I've read novels from the early 1900s without much difficulty and 'Today is Sunday' has definitely been acceptable for a long time. How well does your teacher know English? Are you sure he's qualified to teach?
Jasmine ♪
English, Japanese, Thai
English, Thai