Wren
What is '-이지요' used for? Is it common? 안녕하세요! I have a question. What does it mean when you add '-이지요' to a V/A at the end of a sentence? Is it used with questions that are things both people already know about?... For example: 거기 재민 씨에 집이지요? Is this Jae-Min's house? Is it like saying 'Isn't this...' in a question? Any feedback helps! Thank you so much! 고맙습니다! B
3
0
거기 재민 씨에 집이지요? 거기는 재민씨의 집이다. That place is 재민's house. 거기 재민씨의 집이지요? (I think) That place is 재민's house? (Isn't it?) (if on calling, This is 재민's house. isn't it? or Is this 재민's house?) In this case, the sentence ending "지요" shows "I think/believe that it is true"
Yes, I think you guess right :). Or the equivalent in English is tag qeustions. So, "거기 재민씨 집이지요? = Is this Jae-Min's residence, isn't it?" BTW, you have to omit "에" in your original Korean sentence "재민씨에"
Yeah it's used in a question seeking agreement. Roughtly translated to "..., right?" 이지요/지요/죠(shortened form) is pretty common to use in this context.
Wren
Korean