ytinrete
some slangs and sayings? I usually visit some interesting website where people upload some funny pics on it. And some of the pics come with some comments and that's also the fascinating point. But there are several comments that I don't get the point of the joke even if I saw them quite offen. like: 1. This is really something!(it's important? it makes sense?) 2. You have one thing to do.(do what? laugh? lol) 3. swag(cool? awesome?) 4. meanwhile in XXX[the name of some place] 5. "xxxxxx"they said, "xxxxxx" they said. example["come to play."they said. "it's funny."they said] well, I know some of them maybe kinda like"you can feel it by your heart and mind, but it's hard to describe in words. '只可意会不可言传'---in chinese ". so, it's very kind of you if you can give me some samples that in which situation will you use that kind of saying.I'll try to comprehend it.If I can't understand, never mind, it's all about getting fun. lol.
10
0
Re: You had one thing to do! / You had one job! I'm pretty sure I've seen this website. People take pictures that are comical because it shows something done badly that should have been really simple. I'm explaining this really poorly. Just go to this website. http://hadonejob.com
3. "Swag." This one is used for a lot of things actually. "cool" and "awesome" yes. I generally hear it as being a shortened version of the word "Swagger." e.g. "Bruno Mars has some serious swag when he performs." (Sometimes, in this context it is also an acronym for "secretly we are gay.") It can also be acronyms for "stuff we all get" which is promotional items from businesses usually. "I got a lot of swag from the conference booths" "The radio station was giving away a ton of swag" 4. "Meanwhile in..." This is usually a joke about what is going on (at home or away) while someone is away. Let's say there is a big snowstorm happening at your house but your parents are on a tropical vacation. So after they find out about the storm they send you a picture of them on the sunny beach with the caption "Meanwhile in Fiji..." just to tease you that while you are in the snow, they are living it up in the sunshine. Or, perhaps your husband is at home with the kids on this particular day, and sends you a pic at work of your child sound asleep in the middle of a gigantic mess with the caption "Meanwhile in the [Jones] household..." ["Come to play"] they said, ["it'll be fun"] they said...This one I think is always said with a sarcastic tone. It's when things most definitely didn't go the way "they said" it would. (usually it has an aggravated tone, but whoever says it is not really irate either) So if you were talked into "coming to play" and promised that it would be fun, but you ended up vomiting in the hospital and needing a couple of stitches, you might say something like "'Come to play,' they said. 'It'll be fun,' they said..." or "'Just try it'" they said. 'It's not dangerous at all!' they said..." I hope this helps. It is sometimes hard to explain without showing you a situation.
Ok, let's see... 1. "This is really something!" (essentially it means "Wow!" Depending on the situation, it can be used facetiously/sarcastically (or when you have no "nice" words to say about it) or it can be used honestly. It's all about the tone of voice. For example, you walk into a party that someone is excited to show you and when you walk in you can only think about how tacky and ugly the decorations are, so you say "Wow, this is really something..." On the honest side, perhaps someone gives you a present and you are really moved/touched by. You might also say "This is really something, thank you." 2. "You have one thing to do." I haven't personally ever heard/used this as a saying that I know of. It makes me think of one that sounds similar though, "There's only one thing (left) to do." which means the other options aren't really even options. "Well, son, you've given me all the reasons why you love her. Now there's only one thing left to do..(propose)." or "Oh no! What are we going to do?" "There's only one thing TO do! (Get the heck out of here)"
First tip: "slang" is never plural. It's an uncountable noun. ;) 1) "This is really something!" implies "something special". 2) I'd have to see the context, but I guess something is implied by the picture (eg. you do something mischievous or perverse). If that makes sense, then "you know what to do" is often used in the same way. 3) "Swag" is short for "swagger" and it's a slang term to mean "confidence". "That dude got swag." 4) "Meanwhile in (country)" has a joke about something stereotypical in that country. For example, a pic titled "Meanwhile in Australia" usually has everything upside down. "Meanwhile in Soviet Russia" plays on the "Russian reversal" joke, ie. there's a dramatic role reversal. "In America, you watch TV, but in Soviet Russia, TV watches you!" http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/meanwhile-in-x 5) "XXX they said" means the speaker is angry or disappointed about what has just happened, because he/she had followed a bad suggestion (or been lied to).
I haven't skype account honestly. XD
ytinrete
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese