Natalie Dawn
You don't deserve that. Normally i would use this expression when someone deserves something bad. I am just wondering if you would use it when someone deserves something good. For example, When your colleague (also your close friend) gets promoted. (Can I say it? if not, what would you say instead?)
4
0
Hey Natalie, Neil's answer is a good explanation of the situations in which the phrase "You don't deserve that" can be used. As for your example, no, you can not use the phrase when your colleague gets promoted (I assume you wish him/her well because you mentioned that you are close friends). Instead, you can say "Congratulations, you really deserved that promotion."
If somebody doesn't deserve something good, but gets it anyway, you can say, "You don't deserve that." In this case, the word "that" refers to the good thing. And:, If somebody doesn't deserve something bad, but gets it anyway, you can say, "You don't deserve that." In this case, the word "that" refers to the bad thing.
Natalie Dawn