Harry
My question is about grammar and meaning. Jenny: So that wasn't your laptop you've been to last night to read all about Serena van der Woodsen I know that The Present Perfect is NOT used to describe a specific event. but in above the sentence, Present perfect "have been" is with past, "last night". I don't understand. please..
2013年6月4日 16:44
6
0
The sentence should have better written as, "So the laptop you brought last night to read all about Serena, was not yours."
2013年6月5日
With Present Perfect always seek a connection to a present situation. In this case, the action took place in the past "last night", but the conclusion "you've been to" is related to a present situation. You can probably find counter examples for most grammatical rules, this does not mean that the rule is wrong. Keep in mind that grammar rules are about the most common language uses. Nine out of ten times, you cannot go wrong using proper grammar.....
2013年6月4日
Jenny: So that wasn't your laptop you've been to last night to read all about Serena van der Woodsen. This sentence is bad. It should read: Jenny: So that wasn't your laptop you were at last night to read all about Serena van der Woodsen.
2013年6月4日
Harry