silverblue
what is the difference between grew up and raise?
4 июня 2013 г., 21:09
5
0
beyond the tenses used here... raise is a physical vertical movement of a thing. grew up is an upward addition of a thing. Things that grow are humans, animals, trees, etc. They grow by adding mass over time. Adding mass is the addition. They don't raise, however, the height level raises because "level" itself is imaginary. Water level can be raised but can not be grown up. Also, grew up, is used to express how a child has developed towards an adult, both physically and mentally. This is beyond the context of the sentence though.
4 июня 2013 г.
I assume the context of this is children? Let's say for example, you say, "I grew up in Spain," you mean that you were living in Spain from the time you were a child until the time you were an adult. You could also say, "I grew up in the 80s," meaning that that was the decade when you were perhaps 6 years old to 16 years old, for example. Raised: this is similar. With the same examples, "I was raised in Spain," or "I was raised in the 80s." It is also used by parents like this: "I raised my children in Spain," or "I raised 3 children."
4 июня 2013 г.
silverblue
English, Spanish, Turkish