Ruby
Who can write a good short dialogue ? Write a short dialogue in which a student tries to convince her teacher she deserves a better grade. Use the story, conversational style that Hemingway uses in “The Killers”.
5
0
Ruby bit her lower lip. She had been so confident when she practiced with her friends earlier but now, in front of the intuitive Ms. Hepp, she knew her tactic wasn’t going to work anymore. “I just, uh, I wanted to talk to you about my test.” “Yes, I thought you might. I was actually surprised with your grade myself. It’s not like you to score so poorly. Is there something the matter with you?” Ruby seized the opening. She was going to put her acting skills to good use! Her eyes immediately welled up with tears. Ms. Hepp placed a hand to her heart and the other to Ruby’s shoulder. “Tell me what happened, Ruby.” “M-M-Ms. Hepp…” Ruby sputtered. “It’s been a rough week. My grandmother is in the hospital, my boyfriend just dumped me, and I think my parents are getting divorced!” Then Ruby let out an ear-splitting wail. She threw herself down to her knees and started sobbing. Ms. Hepp knelt down and patted Ruby on the back gently. “Wow, Ruby, you have had quite a week. I’m sorry to hear about all your troubles. You should have come in and talked to me before the test.” “I know. I just thought I could push it all aside. I’m so sorry I let you down Ms. Hepp.” “Oh, Ruby…just forget about the whole thing, ok? I know the kind of student you are. And I know how hard it is to study when things in your personal life are such a mess. I’ve been there myself.” “No, Ms. Hepp, I can’t let you do that. I just wanted to let you know why I scored so low. It wasn’t because I just brushed it off.” Ruby wiped her nose and her face then looked up at her teacher with sad eyes. Ms. Hepp sighed. “I know. And I appreciate you coming to see me. I’ll take care of your grade, don’t worry, I insist. Go have some ice cream and come talk to me anytime if you need to.” Ruby looked down. “Thank you, Ms. Hepp. And I promise I’ll do better next time.”
You are right, it is my homework. Different people has different ideals, so you can enjoy it.
I don't know if this is what your looking for, but I gave it a shot... Ruby knocked casually on the door to the classroom. Ms. Hepp was leaning against the window, staring absentmindedly into the courtyard while she drank some tea. “Come in, Ruby.” Ruby was taken aback. “How did you know it was me, Ms. Hepp?” “We teachers have eyes in the backs of our heads, don’t you know that?” Finally Ms. Hepp turned around. She stared at Ruby with knowing eyes. Ruby’s face flushed a little with anxiety. But then Ms. Hepp smiled and put down her tea. “What can I do for you?” “You look so pretty today with your hair down. You should wear it like this more often.” “You think so?” Ms. Hepp brushed her fingers through her hair a few times. “Oh yeah! I think another certain, unnamed teacher will find it very attractive.” Ms. Hepp scoffed. “Ruby, why are you trying to butter me up?” Ruby’s face turned scarlet again. “What do you mean?” “I know you didn’t come here just to flatter me. So let’s hear it.”
Sounds like your homework! Is it? :)
Ruby