Othman
Quiet and Pretty What do these two words mean when they are said before adjectives, such as pretty easy quiet difficult
2
0
I think you mean "quite" not "quiet." They both tell "to what extent" or "how much. "Pretty" means: To a high extent, fairly. Ecamples: "How hard was the test?" "It was pretty easy actually." "How close are you?" "Pretty close, I'll be there soon." "So, you actually went to the party and I bet you had fun." "Yeah, I admit it, it was pretty fun." "Quite" means: To a considerable extent, maybe even "to an extreme" "How hard was the test?" "It was quite hard!"
These are both modifiers that intensify the meaning of the adjective *somewhat* (but not a lot). By the way, it is "quite," not "quiet." (Quiet means "silent"). So pretty easy = quite easy = rather easy To intensify the adjective *a lot*, use words such as "very," "extremely," "extraordinarily," etc.
Othman
Arabic, English