Yuki
How to use the colon ( : )? I want know how to use colon. I think that the following sentence is correct as for using the colon. The professor has given me three suggestions for improving the writing skill: to read books, to write blogs and to enjoy writing. But, the the following sentence could be wrong. The professor has suggested for improving the writing skill: to read books, to write blogs and to enjoy writing. Is my thought correct?
4
1
The issue isn't so much the use of the colon as the use of the verb "suggest". The second sentence is wrong because the part before the colon is incomplete. You're right in using the colon to introduce a list or an explanation, but the clause before it must be complete. Unfortunately, the sentences you give are also awkwardly written in general.
you use a colon before starting a list so yes you are correct. it acts like breath/period that shows a list is comming
Yuki
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese