mayllt
question about a figure Perhaps anticipation of the consequences of a President’s death should be obligatory for Vice Presidents, but it wouldn't come easily. There is little evidence that Johnson s seven predecessors had given the matter much thought. The attitude of national politicians toward the White House is highly ambivalent; they simultaneously crave it and recoil from it. Vice Presidents, like Presidents, are loath to dwell upon the fact that they are a heartbeat away from the executive mansion, and when the beat suddenly stops they are dumfounded. "I don't know if any of you fellows ever had a load of hay or a bull fall on him.” Truman told reporters on April 14, 1945, "but last night the whole weight of the moon and stars fell on me."] the whole weight of the moon and stars fell on me.
9 июня 2013 г., 15:20
4
0
Sorry, but the above answer is incorrect! What Roosevelt is saying that now he is burdened with the responsibilities of the presidency. If it had said that the "weight of the moon and stars fell -off- him", it would imply relief.
9 июня 2013 г.
Remember Truman was in the same situation as Johnson, becoming the stand-in President on the death of the office holder - 'ever had a load of hay or a bull fall on him' he is saying that was nothing compared to the weight of having to take over the Presidential office
9 июня 2013 г.
Oh I'm sorry :/ Thank you for correcting me :)
9 июня 2013 г.
He wants to say that he feels better, relieved now.
9 июня 2013 г.
mayllt