Hossein
I have some question Hi friends 1:Could you explain 'do well' in this sentence ? Do well on your exam 2:What does headword mean ? 3: I want to know 'same as' meanings in following sentence Love is the same as hate 4:What does go running past mean in this sentence ? Why do you go running past the shops every day ?
5
0
Hello :) 'do well means': to be successful headword: a word that forms a heading in a dictionary, under which its meaning is explained 'the same as': exactly the one or ones referred to or mentioned; not different
1:Could you explain 'do well' in this sentence ? Do well on your exam :Sounds like someone is telling another person to be successful on an exam or wishing him success on his exam. 2:What does headword mean ? :In a paper dictionary, the headwords are those words at the top of the page that help you locate the word you want quickly. The word "car" will be on the page with the headwords "cab" and "carnivore" on the top, for example. 3: I want to know 'same as' meanings in following sentence Love is the same as hate :Whoever says this might think that these to emotions have a lot in common. I'm not sure how that could be without more context. 4:What does go running past mean in this sentence ? Why do you go running past the shops every day ? Evidently, a person runs quickly without looking at the shops or stopping in at the shops.
1.To do well on your exam basically means to get a high grade on it, to do good, or to succeed. 3."Same as" means that there is nothing different about the two, which I don't quite understand how that would work in that sentence because love is not at all the same as hate. 4.To "go running past" basically means to pass by something very quickly. So, in that sentence, it would mean that someone was going quickly past stores (or "shops") every day.
Thank you very much Sylwia (:
Thanks it's so good (: Good luck
Hossein
English, Persian (Farsi)