goldmoons
Overwhelmed I see that most of the time overwhelmed is used in conjunction with 'by', but would it be ok to say: 'The air was overwhelmed with perfumes.' or do I have to stick with "The air was overwhelmed by perfumes.' ?Thank you all! I finally went with a different approach and rephrased my sentence. It fits better with the story anyway. It seemed as if every man and woman added his or her own sweet artificial flagrance, and all the perfumes, which saturated the air, threatened to make me sneeze.
7
0
You could say "The smell of perfume in the air was overwhelming."
Actually, you use "overwhelmed" for people, not things.
I don't know if I would use either of those. How about 'The smell of perfume overwhelmed the air.'
Overwhelmed = a verb (used with object) Meanings and usage 1. to overcome completely in mind or feeling: Example: He overwhelmed by remorse. 2. to overpower or overcome, especially with superior forces; destroy; crush: Example: The Roman troops were overwhelmed by barbarians. 3. to cover or bury beneath a mass of something, as floodwaters, debris, or an avalanche; submerge: Example: Lava from the erupting Vesuvius volcano, overwhelmed the city of Pompeii. 4. to load, heap, treat, or address with an overpowering or excessive amount of anything: Example: The spoilt child overwhelmed with presents. The teacher was overwhelmed with questions. 5. to overthrow. Example: The revolutionaries overwhelmed their enemies.
goldmoons