Heba
why they use " long man " not "tall man " although we should use tall for the vertical legth?
9
0
Where did you see the phrase "long man?" It might be helpful to know the context. Like everyone here, I agree that "tall man" is the normal, everyday way to describe a man who has "great vertical stature." :) However, in East Sussex, England, there is a figure "drawn" into the hill (by natural forces?) that looks like giant man. This figure is known as the "Long Man" in England. Secondly, the American author Steve Englehart wrote a novel called "The Long Man," and in this case, it is not because of the protagonist's height. It is because of his longevity (the man is a super hero who does not age), so the author called his character the "long man."
Hi Heba. The adjective 'tall' is always used to describe something vertical, such as a tall building, tower or a person's height. The adjective 'long' is usually used to describe something that is not vertical or not always vertical. For example; it is a long way to Australia or the running track is 100 metres long.
I have not seen "long man" used very often. I know in the United States, we use "tall man" almost always.
I think the name of the dictionary is Longman (in one word with no space in between). I always assume that it is a some one's last name. Check out the link if you are interested. http://www.houseofnames.com/longman-family-crest
Of course, if the man is lying down dead, then "long" is acceptable, because it is a horizontal measurement, not a vertical one. But if a man walked into a room, in standard English we would say, Gosh, that man is so tall. Or ask him, How tall are you? (although in the USA this is not a question we would ask a stranger; although in some cultures this is normal).
Heba
Arabic, English