Shahrzad
When can I use 'shall' and 'will'? what is the difference? Thanks.
4
0
Will you go to University next year? I shall! You should go! I shall/will! Will you go? I will. They're not interchangeable, but sometimes "shall" is a much more formal version of "will". Not many people use "shall" these days, not where I live anyway. It's a bit old fashioned. I'd put it in the same box as "ought". "You ought not do that!", "But I want to! And I SHALL!!". OOOooh you are a wicked thing! Impudent pup. Hehehe all that. http://english-with-craig.co.uk/blog/
"Will" is less formal than "shall". You can use 'will' to express things that you do everyday - you will go to school, we'll have chicken for dinner. It can also be used to express your will - I will do this (and you can't stop me). In questions it's usually used with 2nd and 3rd person - will you go? will they ever stop? "Shall" has a more specific meaning - when a guy offers his arm to a girl he can say "Shall we?". You can also use it when asking a question in the first person, when you are offering, suggesting something, asking for instructions - shall I go? shall I get the flour?. Sometimes it can be used to convey a threat or a promise - You shall not pass! (Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings, remember?), I shall give this mansion to you some day. Americans tend to use "shall" much less often than "will", I don't know about other English-speaking nations.. The grammar books usually say to use "shall" in the first person, and "will" in the second and third.
When saying "I will" or "I shall" do something, there isn't any difference in conversation. But, if you you ask "will I do this?" it is more as if you or someone else already knows for certain. "shall I do this?" asks more if it would be a good idea to. (historically comes from 'should').
shall its euphemism. I/we can use shall. others will. its like could/can do u know the difference? so shall we go blabla, i think its a bit like ask for request. will we go blablabla its like plan has been set.
Shahrzad
English, Persian (Farsi)