mayllt
does "major war" here mean "the two world war? " The swift solution of the riddle of who had fired the shots was to have the effect of dissipating early reactions. This was lucky for the gloaters. Had the assassin been identified, say, as an agent of the John Birch Society, Birchers everywhere would have been in for an awkward afternoon. It was also fortunate for domestic tranquillity. Almost as soon as conclusions had been drawn, they were to be confounded, and instead of hysteria the national attitude became one of pervasive sadness. Perhaps hysteria would have lost its momentum in any case. Since Orson Welles's Martian fiasco of 1938 Americans had been through two major wars and the tensions of the Russian armistice; they had become more sophisticated and harder to jar. Conceivably they would have behaved equally well if the riddle had endured or grown more complex.
6
0
The "two major wars" means World War II and the Korean War. They occured after the fictional Orson Welles's radio show about Martians.
WW3? I think you mean 2. This is from the book about the Kennedy assassination right? 'Been through' implies the wars had been finished, and the only major war I can think of that finished between 1938 and then is WW2. Maybe it counts the Pacific and Europeans conflicts as two separate wars.
no, it's not. it's from Manchester's book
I'm no history buff, but I do believe its referring to WWII. Are you familiar with the War of th Worlds Hoax that happened in 1938? Americans truly believed they were being invaded by Martians as they listened to Orson Wells radio show. Some people were horrified...because of this false alarm and going through so much with the real wars, it was hard to freighten Americans and really get them to take things seriously.
Yes, the two major wars means WW1 and WW3. I'm curious. Is this part of an assignment for a class on English?
mayllt