秦之子
Is this sentence right? This sentence is out of a book written an Australian. It is that 'I read in China Daily recently that China is making and exporting bike hemlets to countries including Australia.' . Is it right? Could it be written this:' I read in China Daily recently that China was making and exporting bike hemlets to countries including Australia.' ?
4
0
Reported actions. They both mean exactly the same, only the mood of the speaker is different. When you follow the "one tense back rule", the speaker distances himself from the reported action, emphasising that it is being reported, rather than stating it as a fact. If you keep the original tense, then it sounds like you are reporting the thing as a fact.
They are both grammatically correct, but they have slightly different meanings. "China is making and exporting bike helmets" means that this activity is still going on at this moment" "China was making and exporting bike helmets" means this activity is longer going on. China was making helmets, but they stopped doing this"
I think both is perfectly right except for the spelling of "helmet"
*helmets Apart from that both versions are perfectly fine, although yours doesn't mean the same thing. It seems odd to me that the name of the newspaper isn't 'The China Daily', but there's nothing wrong if there's no 'The' in the name.
秦之子