Oscar
Community Tutor
when and how should I use "ain´t" to make negative sentences? I don´t want to use that at all because I have heard that is informal grammar but I think I should know it, so when I see expressions which use that I can get exactly what they say.
16 июня 2013 г., 2:44
21
0
Jmat said, "People consider it a sign that a person is uneducated." Unless you are south of the Mason/Dixon line of the U.S. 'Ain't' is slang. In southern states, 'ain't' is used as an emphatic expression, "I ain't going wash the dishes" or " She ain't pretty at all." On the northeast coast or the west coast, 'ain't' is considered uneducated because it is commonly used in southern states. These coastal regions are bigoted or hateful toward people from southern states. Thus, anything common in southern states is viewed negatively in the east or west coast regions.
16 июня 2013 г.
Oscar, I bet you had no idea this simple little word had so much cultural animosity swirling around it. This word is a vortex of cultural bigotry.
16 июня 2013 г.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain't
16 июня 2013 г.
I'm from the West Coast but now live in the Deep South of the United States. Among educated Southerners, "ain't" is not commonly used. Without any slight intended against any regional variety of English, I think a foreign speaker of any language should strive to speak the standard version of the language (s)he is learning. Otherwise, it might come across as unintentionally comical. Imagine an American speaking with an American accent using a regional, non-standard Spanish expression from Mexico - and you'll get the idea of how it might sound! :o
16 июня 2013 г.
The older generation Americans do not speak academic English. or they don't speak the ways as written, For example: peanut butter, pronounce as peanut budder. " ain´t ", is not a slang, it is a short form for I am not, Academic English: I don't have any money Non-Academic English: ain't got no money.
16 июня 2013 г.
Oscar