mayllt
what does "carpetland"mean? In the State Department's carpetland Llewellyn Thompson was brooding over Johnson's capacity for foreign affairs. State considered Thompson the nation's Russian expert. He himself did not. Increasingly he had come to lean upon John Kennedy. The President had set out to master the intricacies of Sovietology, and in Thompson's opinion his success had been astounding—"He had drained me dry of all I knew," he said later, "and on the rare occasions when there was a difference of opinion between us, he was right and I was wrong." In a flash that wisdom had disappeared, and the new President didn't have his predecessor's consuming interest in governments abroad.
1
0
I have never been inside the U.S. Department of State, and furthermore much could have changed since JFK's administration. However, I am assuming from context that inside the State building, and particularly where the State staff and officials worked, the office spaces were carpeted. So the author called this area the State Department's "carpetland." It is not a term in common usage, and the author could just as well have written "In the (heart of the) State Department, Llewellyn Thompson was brooding over ..."
mayllt