keti
I recommend everyone ____ a marvelous city in Central Asia, Bukhara. A) visiting B to visit C) visit D) to be visited I know that recommend and suggest are very tricky verbs. Is B a right answer here. If yes, I am wondering if someone gives me elucidation.Is there any difference in rules in British and American English? I know that direct objects aren't used after verb everyone. Is "I recommend everyone" is a right form?
12
0
C sounds better to me, but I have heard B also, but I can't find any grammatical rule that confirms B is correct or criticizes it as incorrect.
It's actually C. visit. "I recommend everyone visit a marvelous city in Central Asia, Bukhara." Is this an exact copy of a sentence? I think it should be "I recommend everyone visit a marvelous city in Central Asia such as Bukhara." an example with "to visit" "I recommend everyone goes to visit a marvelous city in Central Asia,(?) Bukhara." an example with "visiting" "I recommend everyone visiting a marvelous city in Central Asia such as Bukhara [ask locals for recommendations on where to eat.] an example with "to be visited." "Bukhara, the marvelous city in Central Asia, is a place that longs to be visited by many people. I recommend everyone visit as soon as possible." I hope this helps. I know it's not a grammar rule, but I will look for one and then post what I find.
@Keti: Some books tell us that "recommend" NEVER takes a direct object followed by an infinitive. So "He recommended his students to read Gibbon" should be "He recommended to his students that they should read / read Gibbon." In your sentence, then, many teachers would accept only: I recommend (that) everyone visit / should visit Bukara, a marvelous city in Central Asia. P.S. In American English, we usually do not use the "should":
Thank you very much CJ Hepp, Sussan and James. I appreciate your help very much. Kind regards
keti
English, Georgian, Russian