Wu Ting
How would you explain the word “law” in the sentence? I saw myself one of the yeoman-prickers single out a stag from the herd, and must confess that it was the most curious feat of activity I ever beheld, superior to anything in Mr. Astley's riding-school. The exertions made by the horse and deer much exceeded all my expectations; though the former greatly excelled the latter in speed. When the devoted deer was separated from his companions, they gave him, by their watches, law, as they called it, for twenty minutes; when, sounding their horns, the stop-dogs were permitted to pursue, and a most gallant scene ensued. How would you explain the word “law” in “they gave him, by their watches, law, as they called it, for twenty minutes”? PS: this extract is taken from The Natural History of Selborne. Thanks!
6
0
They gave him the freedom to run without being chased, which they called law, for twenty minutes.
I have not come across this use of the term "law" before and it is not in my dictionary, but from the context it is clear that it means "head start". Presumably in accordance with the "law" of hunting.
rules made by government to control and regulate people behaviour to provide justice, peaceful living and social security
Wu Ting