anu
what do you say when somebody has to take an exam at the holidays to got throught to the next year? I don't know how exaclty British and American eduacational systems works, but here in Poland if somebody get an F at the end of the year, they have to take an exam at the middle of the school holidays to got throught to the next year. We say then that the person 'ma poprawkę z matmy'. The only translation I have found of it is 'to resit a math examination', but this translation says me nothing about if this is the meaning I'm looking for. by the way, If you're going to answer this question, write which eduactional system, British or American, your phrase refers to.
22 Th06 2013 13:49
9
0
Speaking from a British point of view, we would say to resit or retake an exam. The system in the uk works in a way that you study between the ages of 11 - 16, at the end of this period you take GCSE examinations, if you fail this you can resit it. After this exam pupils can either leave school or stay on for another 2 years to study for and take their "A levels", which is the level you need for university. I left England 10 years ago and as far as I know, it's not possible to fail a year, you just receive bad marks and so it's up to the individual to work harder in order to be ready for the first examinations. I live in Italy now and they have a system like you have in Poland. The word that they use when translated is "to recuperate". I hope this answers your question:)
22 tháng 6 năm 2013
In the US, we don't have national standard tests that we take to pass on to the next grade level. Students must earn their grades throughout the year by doing well on daily assignments and class tests throughout the session. If the student does not earn passing grades on daily assignments and tests, then they cannot go on to the next level. There is nothing they can do like taking a standardized test. Some school systems will offer summer classes so that a person can retake the class during the summer. It's possible that some states require tests, but in general that is not the way the system works. If there were a testing system, it would probably be said that a student "retakes" the test.
24 tháng 6 năm 2013
another one. should be 'in the middle of'
24 tháng 6 năm 2013
I've found another mistake, I think. It should be in the school holidays, sorry
22 tháng 6 năm 2013
should be 'to get through', sorry
22 tháng 6 năm 2013
anu
English, Polish