Check out our updated Community
Tati
Professional Teacher
a journalist WITH a national newspaper Why is it the preposition WITH in this phrase: Helen is a journalist with a national newspaper. As far as I understand, the meaning is that she works for the newspaper. Is it because there is no verb in the clause? Any other examples of the same use of WITH are welcome.
This indicates a relationship or an identification with another. Examples: "I am with the Red Cross" (work/volunteer for), "Am I with the right person?" (in a romantic relationship with), or "I am with those who think that..." (identify/agree with).
"With" is often used for associations. That is, when a person is connected to an organization (business, charity, school, etc.) we can say they are "with" the organization. It is a more general term that can replace "work for," "volunteer for" or "participate in." But it typically is used to show that there is a close relationship and that the person has permission to represent the organization. For example, "I'm with the political campaign of John Smith." A volunteer who doesn't get paid might say this as they go door to door asking people to vote for Mr. Smith. They could also say, "I volunteer for the political campaign of John Smith." It would be the same meaning, but this sentence is more specific because it is clear that the person is a volunteer and not an employee.
You don't work for a newspaper. You work for someone who prints newspapers. You could say: "I work at a newspaper's." But you won't hear that at all, I think. Anyhow, you have to use "with".
Tati
English, French, Russian, Spanish
English, French, Spanish