zhanghongxiang
what does dwelt on mean ? But all my fancy dwelt on Nancy.Now the Parson had a pair to wed as the Hounds came full in view he tossed his surplice over his head and bid them all adieu! but all my fancy dwelt on Nancy so he cried,Tally-ho so he cried,Tally-ho who's Nancy?why did he cry?
But all my fancy dwelt on Nancy. Dwelt is the past tense of dwell. Dwell means: to remain for a time or to keep attention directed to fancy in this context means attention or attraction. so for example: But all my fancy dwelt on Nancy. But all my attention stayed on Nancy. Both sentences have the same meaning.
Please read my comment, and I apologise for my iPads auto correct. One line should read, Throwing his cloak over his head and running away... And then after that it should read, Now the man who was supposed.. That should help you
Ah, to dwell on something: It means, to be thinking about. "But all my fancy dwelt on Nancy": In this case, "fancy" means his likes. So his thoughts are of Nancy, and how much he likes her.
A rather unusual little ditty. My interpretation of it is as follows: It begins with a parson or church minister who has a pair of people to marry or wed. Bur before he can marry them, some hounds, or dogs, or perhaps even bad men, came into view, or came into the church, which resulted in the parson, throwing his cloak over his head and running always bidding them adieu, or good bye in French. Mow the man who was supposed to be getting married, cried out or called out "tally ho!" Which indicated that the parson running away, was like a fox running away from the hounds. The man who was supposed to get married to Nancy who he loved dearly, "all his fancy dwelt on Nancy" considered the parson a bad man to have run off before he finished marrying him, so called the hounds to go after him, by shouting or crying out,"tally ho!" I hope that helped Regards Darren
zhanghongxiang