Alina
Objetkti. I've read the rule that says: if a thing isn't denied (for ex., Minulla ei ole autoa - here it's denied), but meant to be changed (Se ei ole kissa vaan koira) then we use NOMINATIIVI. But on another page I saw a sentence: En syö lihaa vaan kalaa. - there PARTITIIVI is used. Do we need to use partitiivi everywhere when we're talking about abstract and somekind of material nouns (abstraktiset sanat ja ainesanat), or it will be right to say "En syö liha vaan kala" according to the first rule? I hope you'll understand my question. :D If not, just say which sentence will be correct :) And another example with AKKUSATIIVI: Saanko ottaa nämä kaikki omenat. - why only "omena" is in partitiivi but not also "nämä" ja "kaikki"?
3
0
In the sentence that you wrote "nämä kaikki omenat" is the object (objekti), so maybe it's better to say that "nämä kaikki omenat" is accusative, anyway the endings are the same as the nominative case.
"Saanko ottaa nämä kaikki omenat. - why only "omena" is in partitiivi but not also "nämä" ja "kaikki"?" "Omenat" is not partitiivi, it's nominatiivi (plural form). "Kaikki" and "nämä" are also nominatiivi. You have to use "nominatiivi" because you refer to something specific, "all those apples", not "some apples" or apples in general. For instance at the market you would say "saanko omenoita?" , if you're not referring to any specific kind of apples, you're simply asking for apples in general. However, if you are asking for some specific apples, you say: "Saanko nämä omenat?" "Can I have THOSE apples?" By the way, if I'm not mistaking the partitive plural of omena should be "omenoita" but some people say "omenia", I'm not sure if it's a regional use... Maybe Matti (or anyone else) can help us with this :-)
I'm not sure, but after quickly thinking about it, it seems that you use the nominative form of the noun when the sentence has the verb 'to have'. In most other cases you use the partitive form. So only 'En syö lihaa vaan kalaa.' is correct. Nämä and kaikki don't have partitive forms.
Alina
English, Finnish, French, Russian
English, Finnish, French