marie
What books do you advice me to read? In English I am French. I would like to read a book in ENglish, not so difficult to understand. Often, when I tried to read an English book, I stopped it because i spent my time looking for vocabulary. So, very tired to read. My ENglish level is B2: TOEIC :815. Any advice?
11
1
Have you read "The Hunger Games"? It should be fine for your level. Try searching "teens" or "young adult" titles at Amazon.com. (I don't know how old you are. The language in these books is generally simpler, though). There are books for learners of English as a second language, too, such as Penguin's Graded Readers. Another idea would be to join some groups at Goodreads.com for people with similar interests/from a similar background to you. All the best and enjoy your reading! Reading is one of the most effective ways of improving your language level.
short stories
It might be good for you to read a book that you've already read in French. Have you read Le Petite Prince? It has a similar title in English: The Little Prince. It is relatively short, as you may know. Je parle le francais, aussi. Feel free to send me a message with any questions.
My advice is to start with books written for middle school students. The Little House on the Prairie series is easy and yet tells about life in a different cultural letting. The Outsiders is one we have ESL students read. Early books in The Boxcar Children series can be fun. Young Adult Readers is also a good category. These books are great because their themes are usually positive and they are without the usual nonsense in most American fiction.
I also highly recommend reading newspaper articles - most major US papers have quite clear style and vocabulary, and the events they are describing are familiar. similarly, you have hobbies or interests (technology, fashion, movies, sports, etc.), news sites will give you information that will be easier to comprehend. (I struggle through Le Monde on occasion. it's good for practicing reading out loud, too. ^_^) most importantly, reading an article or two is an easy daily habit, while reading a whole book can become more of a chore than a pleasure.
marie
English, French, Spanish, Vietnamese