Joawe Yang
why would people spell like this? I've noticed that some people spell words like this: this-----dis that------dat with------wit though-----tho/doe the-----da that/this/the-----them/dem and even some grammar mistakes: DO it look good? she DON'T know. look at THEM new book! DEM shoes are nice! why????!!! I'm super confused! and what do MAN CRUSH MONDAY and WOMAN CRUSH WEDNESDAY mean? thank u so much:)
10
0
People spell like that because they're lazy and they don't care about acting civilized in public. Man Crush Monday is a day created by gay men who aren't ready to tell people they're gay, then on Monday they tell everyone they like a man. Women Crush Wednesday is the same thing but for women and on Wednesday. Neither of these things make sense to me personally.
They just use those spellings to sound hip or cool or funny or to exaggerate. And sadly, many native English speakers have poor grammar. So some of the grammar mistakes are because they don't know any better, but some are also just for fun. For instance, I'll use the word "ain't" sometimes to exaggerate what I'm saying, to draw attention to my speech. Of course, it's bad grammar, but my friends know that I know the difference and I'm doing it on purpose.
I think, there are things that don't indicate a man's education level. Let's take being in hurry for instance. Everybody tends to misspell. However, the same cannot be said about those who truly lack some grammar knowledge.
Everyone's saying that people write that like because they're uneducated, but I've only ever seen people write like that to intentionally uneducated for humour. Or sometimes people make editing mistakes. For example, I could write 'This food was very good', then decide to replace 'food' with 'meals' while forgetting to change the rest of the sentence. I do that all the time!
Those words are all slang words. Some people use these words because they are uneducated and don't know correct grammar. Interestingly, other people do know correct grammar but still choose to write or speak this way. The reason is slang is a popular way of communication especially on social media such as Twitter. Also, people can write and speak faster because there are less letters to type or say. You may know this already, but never use this type of slang in formal situations such as schoolwork or talking to a supervisor. The expression "to have a crush" means to like or be attracted to someone. People on social media talk about a man they are attracted to on Monday and a woman they are attracted to on Wednesday.
Joawe Yang
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English