Mariah
중급한국어능력시험? 안녕하세요 여러분. 제가 머라야예요. 3년쯤 전에 초급한국어능력시험을 봤고 합격했는데 2년 후에 중급한국어능력시험을 봤고 떨어졌어요. 올해 다시 봐야 돼요. I was wondering what form of writing I should use on the final writing part. Originally I thought I should use 존댓말, but was recently told I shouldn't. I was told I should write like they do in the newspapers, but I've never read a Korean newspaper before.
6
0
I forgot the link! Oops sorry! http://biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2014/01/28/2014012803084.html?main_news Have fun studying, Kudos!
Here is a good resource to explain the form that David was talking about: http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/lessons/level-5-lesson-16/ Although the teachers call it narrative present tense, it is more commonly referred to (or at least in my experience) as plain form, or diary form. It is also commonly used in TV documentaries. Even though the teachers say it should only be used in informal situations, which is true when spoken, it is a kind of neutral form when used in writing (because you don't know who will be reading your paper), which you should use for the TOPIK. To sum up the main points of it: ~저 should be turned into 나. It's not considered rude in this case, just neutral. ~For action verbs without a final consonant, add ㄴ다 at the end. For example, 저는 한국어를 배웁니다. --> 나는 한국어를 배운다. (배우다 being the original verb) ~For action verbs with a final consonant other than ㄹ, add 는다 at the end. For example, 창문을 닫습니다. --> 창문을 닫는다. (original verb being 닫다) ~For action verbs ending with ㄹ, drop it and add 는다. For example, 꽃을 팝니다. --> 꽃을 파는다. (original verb is 팔다) ((I'm having a sudden moment of low confidence in my beginner Korean knowledge, not sure if the 존댓말 form is 팝니다 or 팔습니다 :P)) ~For descriptive verbs, or 있다/없다, just keep them in their dictionary form. For example, 저는 요즘 바쁩니다 --> 나는 요즘 바쁘다. (verb is 바쁘다) Hope this helps!
April 25, 2014
From you telling me that you passed the beginner's test but failed the intermediate, I assume you know how to tell the difference between different tones in the Korean language, such as 존댓말, 반말, etc. There are actually more than just two tones in Korean. There are numerous kinds, formal, informal, old korean, quotes, formal for papers and essays, narrative, etc, various kinds! I have included a link to a Korean Newspaper site called 조선일보 (Chosun). The article that you see is the kind that they want, since you said you need to use the Korean tone used in papers.
Mariah
English, Haitian Creole, Korean
Haitian Creole, Korean