JOY
Please help me with these questions 1 Ukraine leader bends on anti-protest laws. What does " bend" here means? 2 Is there any difference between " in order to" and "in a bid to"? 3 Can "fail" be replaced by "fizzle" under any circumstance? 4 " Dear Mr.President, we know that you have already tried: French fries, french boxing, french toast, french kiss. How about trying an interview with a French radio station that does not compromise with the news?" What does " compromise with news" mean? 5 " We're in a "stay tuned" moment right now," Osterholm said. " If that happens, then bets are off. It's potential pandemic time." " bets are off"? 6 Out of loop this weekend? We've got the top stories right now. What does "out of loop" mean? Thanks. :)
5
0
1) He finally changed his mind is now allowing something he didn't want earlier 2) “In order to” basically means “to”. “in bid to” is used when something needs to be won 3) using the phrase “to fizzle out” 4) This can mean not agreeing with the news. The interview should be unbiased. 5) The full expression is “all bets are off”. This means things in the future that were sure are no longer certain. 6) Means not to be informed.
Ni Hao! Here R My Views Regarding Solution of Your Questions :- Ans 1. ''Bends'' means To Submit, to Get Defeated. Ans 2. In Order to Means - So That or for. and In Bid to Implies - towards a Language or an Accent (Way of speaking Language) Ans 3. Depending on Situation, as Fizzle is a Synonym of Fail. Ans 4. It means That They Must Not Air or Publish 'Paid News' That is, a News Channel which is Honest and Reflects Simple Truth, Ans 5. It Describes About a Situation Of a 'Strike' Which is Currently Stopped As Those On Strike were Promised that their Voice Would be Heard By Responsible Authorities but, If this Doesn't Happens then The 'Strike' Will Be Started Again. Ans 6. Out of Loop Means - Having Some Free, Recreational Time to enjoy With Your Family and Friends. Hope You Got What you Needed :D
bend in this case means to push the laws to the limit. if you bend the rules you are not breaking them, but perhaps are using the 'grey' areas. Ie. exploiting uncertainty or vagueness in the definition. there are times when you can use in order to by not in a bid to. You must complete your time sheet in order to be paid in time. In order to is more of a definite outcome. 3 not really. Fizzle out is the usual saying. means it stopped happening or working. usually slowly. the football match just fizzled out as neither team could pass the ball. in this case it means it lost any excitement. 4 Compromise the news would mean not changing it in anyway. reporting it perfectly without opinion or bias 5 All bets are off. means we are in unexpected situation that no one has planned for. i.e. we cant do what we had planned to do because this is a big problem. 6. Out of the loop means not included or haven't been taking notice of. I have been out of the loop in that customer problem. can you tell me what has happened.
1. If two sides want different things, one of them eventually has to concede to the other. "Bend" refers to the side that concedes. If the leader wants anti-protest laws, but others don't want them, the leader bends by allowing them not to have anti-protest laws. 2. "In order to" refers to a desired result that would come from something else. "In a bid to" is used when someone is specifically trying to achieve a certain thing. "In a bid to" sounds more proactive. 3. In some cases they can be used interchangeably, but not all cases. When "fizzle" is used to mean "fail," it usually has the connotation of a process which fails before it reaches the final stage. 4. I think "does not compromise with the news" means that the radio station tells the truth and doesn't avoid talking about uncomfortable subjects. 5. "(All) bets are off" means that the things people would expect under normal circumstances no longer apply. 6. "Out of the loop" means that a person hasn't been following the news for a certain period of time, and therefore is unaware of what happened during that time.
First a piece of advice, one or two questions at a time will get you more of a response. 1. cannot answer with out more content, bend can mean manipulate, be lenient. 2. I do not know the meaning of the second phrase 3. Not sure 4. I would say that means they are implying that French news tells the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...without compromise, and therefore implying that the president is accustomed to the news compromising the truth to his advantage/disadvantage. 5. this mean the deal is void 6. this means you never know what is going on, usually speaking about your group of friends or your family. I know I couldn't answer everything, but I hope my short concise answers helped!!
JOY
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Spanish
Spanish