Tatyana
What does it mean: "worth putting a terrier on it every time" and "Little beats visiting people" I got an email from my business partner. He is British. But i really don't understand the meaning of the expressions mentioned in my question. Here is the context: "In foreign trade it is so hard to get references but it is amazing how much can be learned in an hour on the web now, worth putting a terrier on it every time, though of course it can be wrong. Little beats visiting people. When we can afford it we obviously must to do this."
30 янв. 2014 г., 5:49
7
0
"worth putting a terrier on it every time" As an American, I have never heard that phrase, but I like it! A terrier is a type of dog that is good at hunting and finding things. Basically, he is saying that you can learn a lot by searching the web, so it is worth putting effort or time into searching the web - it is worth putting a terrier (a dog that is good at searching) on it. Not literally, of course. "Little beats visiting people." That simply means that meeting people face to face is the best way to engage them, rather than calling or emailing. That is, when you can afford it - when you can afford to travel to meet them. Little = Not much beats = is better than Little beats visiting people = Not much is better than visiting people.
30 января 2014 г.
"Little beats visiting people" means that very few things are better than actually talking to someone in person; flying to another country to speak with someone is preferable to online research if the company can afford it. As for the terrier comment, I cannot answer with certainty, but I'm imagining this is a term in your office used for interns or other people who do mundane or otherwise time consuming tasks for other people. It's probably a nicer way of calling someone a "grunt." Terriers are feisty dogs that are keen to do stuff. Anyways, the gist of the message is that it's always worth it to have someone do some online research, but nothing is better than getting information straight from the horse's mouth (directly from the source).
30 января 2014 г.
I have no idea either and in Australia we're usually more familiar with British slang than Americans. The only thing I can think of was he was typing on his phone and the original word got auto-corrected to 'terrier.' Possibly 'tenner' which means 10 pounds.
30 января 2014 г.
Tatyana