Harry
I don't exactly know what "the shapes" mean in the sentece. Darwin realized that change in nature is very slow. But, he argued, we know that change can be much quicker when human beings are in charge of the process, selecting the traits they desire in their plants and animals. He called this artificial selection, and humans have been doing it for thousands of years. Darwin bred pigeons, and exchanged many letters with his fellow pigeon fanciers. He knew just how quickly the shapes and behaviour of their show pigeons could change, when the breeders carefully selected pigeons with certain traits for breeding chicks. I don't exactly know what "the shapes" mean in the sentece, "the shapes and behaviour of their show pigeons" Could you help me?
4
0
It refers to the shapes of the pigeons, perhaps the length of the beak, the size of the breast in proportion to the rest of the body, the wingspan.
I am not the best atEnglish, since I am Spanish, but I would say "shapes" refer to the looks of the animals. Hope it helps
I believe "the shapes" in this sentence is referring to the actual physical shape of the birds. Since they were breeding carefully selected birds for particular traits, those which they considered to be the most desirable, they were seeking out the most advantageous behavioral traits and physical characteristics (shapes). For example... if someone is overweight and then begins working out at the gym a lot and they become quite fit - they have literally changed their shape and someone might say about them: "He is in great shape!" Or: If someone is breeding dogs... and the most desirable trait for this breed of dog is for it to be large-chested, with a thin waist and long floppy ears - they would seek out two dogs with these traits to mate so that their offspring would have the same ideal "shape" as their parents. Hopefully that helps a bit.
Harry