mayllt
I don't get this sentence, esp. the latter part. the relative context is: [Although my television set is generally tuned to the news or a sporting event, every so often I come across an opinion show or financial channel where people pop up to tell millions of viewers what’s going to happen, with absolute conviction. As my friend Dr. William Schneider likes to say about folks like that, “That fellow has had one year’s worth of experience fifty times.” The talking heads say this person is going to win an election, or that company’s stock is going to go up, or the economy is doomed or on the brink of boom times. This thing will “never” happen, while that one “always” will. ] my question is: does "that fellow has had one year’s worth of experience fifty times"mean "in fifty times, they could only be correct once? if that is the case, then what does "one year's worth"mean?
1
0
"one year’s worth of experience fifty times" is a mild insult stated in a mildly funny way. It is not saying that the person is correct only once, it is saying that the person has a very limited experience and has never broadened their area of expertise. Think of a librarian whose whole career consisted of putting books on shelves, but never purchased new books, indexed them , chased up returns etc etc. So "one years experience 50 times", the person is not really the sort of librarian that you would hire or listen to about the working of a large library.
mayllt