art
Does it sound English if I tend to say "I guess" instead of suppose, assume ... when iam trying to express my opinion? What are an alternative ways of saying it?
4
1
Of course you can say "I guess..." It sounds perfectly natural. However, if you use it too much, then people will wonder if that's the only phrase you know. To add to Jim's suggestions, you can also use "As far as I see it", "As far as I know", "As far as I can tell", "In my view", or "I feel that..." There are many more of course.
I guess Obama is a good president. I think Obama is a good president. In my opinion Obama is a good president. Or you can just say "Obama is a good president." Because since you are saying it, it is assumed to be your opinion.
thanks
"I guess" in this sense is mostly used in North American English. In most other varieties it would imply that you were guessing, i.e. making a guess and not sure of your opinion. In Australian English you can say 'I reckon', although I'm told by North Americans that's seen as very rural! In Australia it's informal but very common and means 'I think/in my opinion'.
art
English, French, Latvian, Russian