Ángel H.
What does it mean 'land' as a verb in this sentence? Last day, while I was reading I found this sentence: 'Coming second in the free running world championships has landed me roles in music videos' and my question is: What does it mean 'land' as a verb in this sentence? My English teacher told me that it was a colloquial way to express 'got' but I'm not so convince about the meaning. Is there someone who can help me? Thank you very much! :P
2
0
Yes, it does more or less mean 'got'. I'm guessing it's derived from the expression 'to land a fish', i.e. to catch a fish and reel it in and bring it to land. To 'land something' by extension means to get it through some effort or skill of your own, or at least through the consequences of your own actions. In this case 'coming second in the [...] championships' is the action that has caused him to get (or 'to land') the 'roles in music videos'.
Ángel H.
Catalan, English, German, Spanish