Weiyang Luo
How to properly describe drinking sth directly from the bottle ? Namely ,putting your mouth on the hole of the bottle directly. For example. A: Excuse me ,could you pass me the bottle of coke please? B: No problem.By the way you can drink from the bottle (you don't need to pour it)since there is not much left. Are there any more concise or idiomatic ways to describe(you can drink directly with the bottle without pouring it into your glass?). Another question maybe,is it better to say the"opening"or"hole" of the bottle? Thank you so much .
2
0
"You can put your lips (or 'germs') on it, I'm not going to have anymore." or "You can just drink the rest straight out of the bottle." Probably, I would just say "You can have the rest". This give the implication and meaning w/o too many words.
I think saying, "You can drink directly from the bottle" is appropriate enough. As for "hole," I would say that's not quite accurate. You see, "hole" is for something small. A bottle's opening, however, is not small enough (in respect to the whole bottle) to be called a hole. You could say the opening of the bottle. Another way would be "mouth" of the bottle, as in, "You can drink directly from the mouth of the bottle." There probably are other ways of saying that, too.
Weiyang Luo