Timur Zhukov
Could you please explain me some phrases? Hello, everyone! Could yo please help me? 1. The word "upon". As far as I know, it means "on". So, why "upon the moon" doesn't mean "on the moon", but "beneath the moon"? 2. A fragment from text. The phrase I don't understand is highlighted by "[" and "]". To be more precise, I do understand it, but I can't perceive what does it mean in this context? The meaning of this phrase here is a bit strange for me. Thank you very much in advance! "At the moment, that particular boy, Richard Campbell Gansey III, looked pretty unkillable. In the humid wind at the top of the white green hill, an ardently yellow polo shirt flapped against his chest and a pair of khaki shorts slapped his gloriously tanned legs. Boys like him didn't die; they got bronzed and [installed outside public libraries]."
3 Th02 2014 15:59
2
0
Hi You are correct that upon and on are often used in the same way. I have never heard upon used to mean beneath. "Boys like him didn't die; they got bronzed and [installed outside public libraries]." is a reference to the fact that people who are respected often have statues made in their honour (made out of bronze) and displayed in public areas such as the outside of libraries.
3 tháng 2 năm 2014
Timur Zhukov
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish