Wu Ting
How would you explain ‘dinchers’ in the context? The next thing to come along was an iguana as big as an alligator, strolling with a frown on its face and a collar on its neck. Attached to the collar a long rope, and holding the rope, a man with no teeth singing. Señor, is it for sale? What isn’t, young friend? Even I could be yours, for a price. Your lizard. Is it food or a pet? Mas vale ser comida de rico que perro de pobre, he said. Better to be the food of a rich boy than the dog of a poor one. But today there was only enough money for fruit and cigarettes. Anyway the maid cries enough already, without having to cook a lizard for lunch. It took a long time to walk back, but Mother wasn’t angry. She’d found a couple of dinchers in the pocket of her yellow dress. How would you explain ‘dinchers’ in the last sentence? I think it means cigarettes instead of butts. What do you think? Thanks!
3
0
Going by the context, I'd guess they were cigarettes too... maybe even half-smoked or broken cigarettes?
Wu Ting