DDyan
exotic creature & got her feet under her "How come you never told me that?" "I wasn't sure how you'd react." "What do you mean?" Mischief in her blue eyes."I was afraid you'd think I was some sort of exotic creature. You wouldn't know how to behave." She sat up slowly, braced her palms on the rim of the tub, got her feet under her, and stood- in what seemed like a single smooth motion. I stood at the same time, admiring her in the candlelight. "You should have told me," I said," It wouldn't have made a difference. I already thought you were an exotic creature." what does "I was afraid you'd think I was some sort of exotic creature" mean? How about "got her feet under her, and stood- in what seemed like a single smooth motion" ? And "I already thought you were an exotic creature" ?the woman didn't tell the man that she was part indian, when the woman bathed, the man asked about it and they have dialogues as above
2
0
"Exotic" is being used in the context of "exciting". The girl is being modest. When someone rises from sitting in a bathtub, the movement involves positioning the body high enough, usually through force of hands on the sides of the tub, until there is enough room for the feet to move beneath the body, then stand. You might think of this as "getting her feet under her".
need more context it sounds the girl was afraid to tell the narrator something impressive about herself for fear the narrator would think she was too good for him #2- the narrator is using language that describes the girl as being graceful in her movement as opposed to clumsy or just weak
DDyan